Mammoth Lakes Recreation This Week – November 23, 2022 (Thanksgiving Edition)
Mammoth Ice Rink to Open for Thanksgiving!
The outdoor ice rink is scheduled to open for the 2022/23 winter season this Friday, November 25, 2022. Join us for a FREE Skate night on November 25 after The Village Tree Lighting Ceremony (7pm) – rentals subject to availability. The facility offers public skating sessions, skate improvement programs, adult and youth hockey programs, Friday Night 1st Timer Skate Assist, and curling. Amenities include skate sharpening, skate rentals and snack and beverage services. The Town of Mammoth Lakes is committed to providing the most enjoyable outdoor ice skating experience possible. Please visit the website for session times, fees and the rink schedule. We look forward to welcoming you to the Mammoth Ice Rink this winter!
Register for Winter Programming
Parks and Recreation have a number of open spots in our expanding youth winter programs. Please review the list below and register online.
- 3-4 Yrs. Gymnastics (Jan-Feb)
- Grade TK-K Skating Lessons (Nov-Dec & Jan-Feb)
- Grade 1-2 Gymnastics (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 1-2 Skating Lessons (Nov-Dec & Jan-Feb)
- Grade 3-5 Gymnastics (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 3-5 Skating Lessons (Nov-Dec & Jan-Feb)
- Grades 3-5 Hot Shots Basketball (Jan-Mar)
- Grade 6-8 Skating Lessons (Nov-Dec & Jan-Feb)
- Grade 6-8 Cooking Class (Jan-Feb)
Registration is also OPEN for our Winter Coed Adult Sports Leagues – Hockey, Curling, Indoor Soccer and Indoor Volleyball. To register a team, or to register as an individual player, please click here or call us at (760) 965-3690.
Park, Facilities and Trails Update
Please click here to view the status of our parks, facilities, MUP’s and sidewalks. Volcom Brothers Skate Park restroom is open and we have portable restrooms in place at Shady Rest Park. A large section of our trail system is open. Closed sections include: Meridian & Minaret to Eagle Lodge, Waterford up to Juniper, Joaquin Trail, Shady Rest trail, Lake Mary at Kelly Rd. to the top.
Community Recreation Center (CRC) Update
Crews this week continue to enjoy the clear and cold days by working to complete exterior facility infrastructure, while work continues indoors to build out the Sprung components and operating amenities. The sub-contractor completed the foundation for the mechanical enclosure that will house the new 300 Ton air-cooled (RTAC) chiller, HVAC unit and trash spaces. On the inside, the remaining interior membrane panels are being tensioned, the locker room foundations are being poured, and work continued on the metal framing for the westside storage, mechanical and Zamboni rooms. The Town appreciates the community’s understanding and patience as we work towards enhancing our community recreation amenities. Look for the weekly #crcupdates on the Town’s Facebook page. Temporary park closure: For the duration of construction for the new Community Recreation Center, the Mammoth Creek Park playground, restrooms and parking lot will be CLOSED to the public.
Work for Parks and Recreation!
The Town is hiring a full-time Public Works Maintenance Worker position, as well as various Parks & Recreation and Public Works winter seasonal positions. All positions are currently posted on our website. To be considered for an open recruitment, all applicants must submit an online application.
Run, Jog or Walk the 8th Annual Turkey Trot!
The Mammoth Track Club is hosting the 8th Annual Mammoth Lakes Turkey Trot through the Trails community this Thursday, November 24. Start your Thanksgiving morning out right with a 2K (1.24 miles) loop at 9am from Trails End Park. The event is SOLD OUT! All participants receive a technical long-sleeve shirt, cider/hot cocoa, and a finisher’s medal. Costumes and fun are encouraged!
Winter Recreation Update
- Mammoth Mountain: Main and Canyon will remain open for the season while Eagle lodge will be open from November 24-27, then will reopen for the weekends of December 3 & 4 and 10 & 11. Chairs 8 and 15 will operate during these times. There will be very limited services available at Eagle Lodge until the scheduled opening date of December 16 when it opens in full for the season.
- Snowmobile Adventures: Will operate from November 19-27, then each weekend before opening daily for the season on December 16.
- Woolly’s Tube Park: Expected to open for the season on Friday, November 25.
- June Mountain: Scheduled Opening Day is Saturday, December 17, 2022.
- Tamarack XC: Tamarack Cross-Country Ski Center is OPEN. View the trail map, Conditions or Tamarack Cam on the webpage.
- Town Nordic Trails: Shady Rest Trails will be groomed as conditions allow. For up-to-date grooming reports check the Trails Conditions page on mammothtrails.org. Please clean up after your pooch, and if you bag it, take it! Last run the groomer cleaned up 3 pre-packaged poo bags off the trail but was able to dispose of them at the conveniently located waste stations in the parking lot.
- Winter Recreation Handouts: View the Winter Recreation Map, Shady Rest Winter Trail Map, and Responsible Recreation information handout.
- Inyo Recreation Conditions: View the November 4, 2022 Report.
News from the Inyo!
- Fuelwood collection season extended
- Opportunity for public input on forest health project
- Inyo National Forest is hiring two student interns
- Inyo National Forest is hiring 2023 seasonal staff
- Recreation Conditions Report
- Dispersed Camping
- News and Events
- Work for the Inyo!
Please Leash Your Dog!
The Mammoth Lakes Police Department is issuing citations to all owners with dogs off-leash at Shady Rest Park and throughout Town after issuing only warnings for the last 2 years. It is unlawful for any dog owner to allow their dog to run at large within the Town of Mammoth Lakes Municipal Boundary. The Eastern Sierra offers an incredible outdoor playground for dog owners to play and walk with your dog(s) off-leash. The Town is moving forward with plans for a dog park with construction expected to commence in the fall of 2023. Thank you for your commitment in keeping Mammoth Lakes safe and beautiful for all to enjoy! Learn more about Dog Resources, Licensing, Education and Enforcement.
3rd Annual Eastern Sierra Mountain Film Festival
Celebrate mountain culture and the environment with four feature films playing at the Edison Theatre from December 1-4, 2022. Opening Night at 7pm is “Exposure”, Friday at 7pm is “Riverborn”, Saturday at 7pm watch “An Accidental Life,” and closing night features “Surf Nation” at 7pm. Tickets online: $12 / At the door: $15. Visit EasternSierraArts.org or www.easternsierraarts.org for additional information, to watch the Trailers and to purchase tickets.
Zumba classes are back at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center every Tuesday (October 11 – December 27) and Friday nights (October 7 – December 30), from 6-7pm. Join Coach Denisse, and get you burn and dance on at the same time! Only $10 per class.
Latin Night at Mammoth Rock ‘n’ Bowl
Open Mic Mondays
Mono County Wellness Program Schedule:
Click here for information about the Mammoth Lakes program schedule.
Sunday Senior Doughnut Drop-In
- Sundays from 8:00-10:00am
- Join us for coffee, a light breakfast, community, and conversation on November 27 at Mammoth Coffee Roasters.
Open Space Hang
- Wednesdays from 6:00-8:00pm
- Sierra Wellness Center, 181 Sierra Manor Road #4, Mammoth Lakes
- Join us for a sober evening of games, music, and community.
Free MyStrength App – Access Code MONO
- Get a flexible and comprehensive digital program with proven tools
- and dedicated support for stress, depression, sleep, and more.
- Get your free app here using the promo code MONO.
Mono Arts Council (MAC) Program Schedule
- Thursday-Monday, 12-6pm
- Open Studio is a community program for folks of all ages to have access to a creative space and materials for artistic projects! Participants may bring their own supplies or use materials provided by MAC for a suggested donation of $5.? Please note that this is a drop-in, self-guided program. Visit the MAC website for details.
Mammoth Lakes Library
Storytime and Reading Challenge
In addition to our weekly Facebook Live Storytimes on Wednesdays at 10:30am and in Spanish alternate Fridays at 10:30am on Mammoth Lakes Library’s Facebook page.
Makerspace and MonoBookBox Program
The library continues to offer free all-ages seasonal Makerspace Kits and Activity Zines for pick up at the front desk, along with Storytime To Go bags for young families at Mammoth Lakes Library. School age kids can still sign up for a few remaining slots in our winter MonoBookBox Program and high school age teens can participate in our Evolution of Storytelling Project which includes free journaling boxes and zine-making kits and this season adds in-house use of iPads for digital story creation and recording equipment for oral history/podcast style storytelling. Adults can take advantage of our Drop-In Sewing Machine Time at the 2nd floor Makerspace every Wednesday from 2:30-4:30pm. Additional information: monocolibraries.org.
- November 24: 8th Annual Footloose Sports Thanksgiving Turkey Trot – SOLD OUT!
- November 25: The Annual Village Tree Lighting Ceremony
- November 25: Mammoth Ice Rink Opening Day – FREE Skate Night (weather dependent) after Tree Lighting Ceremony
- December 17: Night of Lights
- Click here to view the Mammoth Lakes Events Calendar
(From Mammoth Lakes Parks and Recreation)