Mammoth Lakes Recreation This Week – December 21
Skate with Santa!
The outdoor Mammoth Ice Rink is open for the 2022/23 winter season. Join us this Thursday, December 22 from 5:30-7:30pm to Skate with Santa and get your holiday photos taken with Santa and his elves. Winter holiday rates are in effect from Saturday, December 17, 2022 to January 1, 2023. The Town of Mammoth Lakes is committed to providing the most enjoyable outdoor ice skating experience possible. Please visit the website for session times, fees and the rink schedule as they are subject to change based on ice and weather conditions.
LA Kings Host Youth and Adult Hockey Clinics
The LA Kings are hosting a 3-day mini-camp for kids ages 6-16 yrs. at the outdoor Mammoth Ice Rink from January 27-29, 2023. On-ice instruction will be provided by LA Kings Alumnus Derek Armstrong, LA Kings Scout and Inclusion Specialist Blake Bolden, and hockey development staff. Kings Camp Mammoth Lakes includes four on-ice sessions, camp jersey, and (2) Tickets to the LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets Game on March 25, 2022 at Crypto.com Arena.
A one-hour Adult Hockey Clinic is also scheduled on Friday, January 27, 2023 from 8:00-9:00pm. Instruction will be provided by LA Kings Alumnus Derek Armstrong, LA Kings Scout and Inclusion Specialist Blake Bolden, and hockey development staff. The Adult Clinic includes 1-hour on ice session, 1-Day Mammoth Mountain Lift Pass, and (1) Ticket to the LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets Game on March 25, 2022 at Crypto.com Arena.
**Equipment is not provided. All participants must have their own, full set of hockey gear
Hot Shots Basketball Begins January 3, 2023!
Join our Hot Shots Basketball League! This is a co-ed league geared towards teaching elementary students (Grades 3-5) the basic skills and game play of basketball. This league will help prepare your child for the middle school basketball program. The program is only $50 (Tony Colasardo Scholarship funds available) held on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 5:30-7:30pm (actual start/end times vary) at the Mammoth Middle School Gym. Program begins January 3 – register today!
WE NEED PARENT VOLUNTEERS to serve as coaches. If you are interested, please email or call the Parks and Rec Department at (760) 965-3690.
Register for Winter Programming
Parks and Recreation have a number of open spots in our expanding youth winter programs. Please review the list below and register online.
- 3-4 Yrs. Gymnastics (Jan-Feb)
- Grade TK-K Skating Lessons (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 1-2 Gymnastics (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 1-2 Skating Lessons (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 3-5 Gymnastics (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 3-5 Skating Lessons (Jan-Feb)
- Grades 3-5 Hot Shots Basketball (Jan-Mar)
- Grade 6-8 Skating Lessons (Jan-Feb)
- Grade 6-8 Cooking Class (Jan-Feb)
Registration is also OPEN for our Indoor Soccer and Indoor Volleyball adult coed leagues. To register a team, or to register as an individual player, please click here or call us at (760) 965-3690.
Park, Facilities and Trails Update
Please click here to view the status of our parks, facilities, MUP’s and sidewalks. The majority of the Town’s sidewalks and paths have been cleared, including the path to the Sherwin Lookout. Volcom Brothers Skate Park restroom is open and we have portable restrooms in place at Shady Rest Park.
Community Recreation Center (CRC) Update
Crews this week continued to build out the interior Sprung components and operating amenities. Work continued on the metal framing for the westside storage, mechanical and Zamboni rooms, installation of the HVAC system and fire suppression system. The Town appreciates the community’s understanding and patience as we work towards enhancing our community recreation amenities. Look for the weekly #crcupdates on the Town’s Facebook page. On December 7, 2022, the Town of Mammoth Lakes, Mammoth Lakes Tourism (MLT), and Mammoth Lakes Recreation launched an historic new, community-driven partnership with National Hockey League (NHL) franchise, the LA Kings. As part of the expansive, multiyear partnership, brokered by AEG Global Partnerships, the partners have teamed up to launch “LA Kings Ice at Mammoth Lakes”- the Town’s first indoor Olympic-sized ice rink. Read the Press Release.
Work for Parks and Recreation!
The Town is recruiting for two Recreation Supervisors (CRC and Adult Programming), as well as various Parks & Recreation (Recreation Instructors, Recreation Facilities Staff at the outdoor ice rink, and Recreation Interns for winter seasonal programming) and Public Works (Temporary Snow Removal Operator) winter seasonal positions. To be considered for an open recruitment, all applicants must submit an online application.
Playing at the Edison Theatre this January!
Presented by the Sierra Classic Theatre, The Lifespan of a Fact will be playing at the Edison Theatre from January 12-15 and 19-22, 2023. Jim Fingal is a fresh-out-of-Harvard fact checker for a prominent but sinking New York magazine. John DAgata is a talented writer with a transcendent essay about the suicide of a teenage boy. Emily Penrose is the editor hoping Johns essay will save her magazine from collapse. When Jim is assigned to fact check the D’Agata’s essay, the two come head to head in a comedic yet gripping battle over facts vs truth. The debate is hilarious, wildly entertaining and deeply resonant. Based on a true story and a book of the same name, The Lifespan of a Fact will disturb preconceptions, unsettle assumptions and have you laughing out loud. Purchase your tickets online!
Mammoth Lakes Recreation Awarded Grant For Sherwins Area
On December 16, 2022, Mammoth Lakes Recreation (MLR) announced that it has been awarded $1.4 million from the Sierra Nevada Conservancy (SNC) for its “Sherwins Trailhead” and “Sherwins Area Trails and Trailhead Expansion” projects. Both projects are located on Inyo National Forest (INF) land in the wildland-urban interface with the Town of Mammoth Lakes. The mixed conifer forests, iconic vistas, and many recreation offerings make these projects a great opportunity to improve access from the Town center and Mammoth Creek Park, where the TOML is currently constructing a Community Recreation Center (CRC) and mobility hub, to these many extraordinary natural resources via the trailhead and proposed interconnected trails.
“This is precisely the lane that MLR was created to operate in,” said Craig Albright, MLR Board President. “Providing guidance, prioritizing projects, and leveraging the tax revenues of Measures R and U to enhance the Recreational, Arts and Cultural experiences in Mammoth Lakes for both our citizens and visitors alike. Kim Anaclerio is doing great work and the MLR Board is blessed to have her skill set getting things done for the betterment of our town.”
Winter Recreation Update
- Mammoth Parks and Recreation: Register your child in our expanding youth winter programs, including Hot Shots Basketball and registration is also OPEN for our Indoor Soccer and Indoor Volleyball. Register online or call (760) 965-3690.
- Mammoth Outdoor Ice Rink: Is OPEN for the winter season. Please visit the website for session times, fees and the rink schedule as they are subject to change based on ice and weather conditions.
- Mammoth Mountain: Reporting a base of 64-126” on machined groomed snow. View the latest conditions.
- June Mountain: Now Open!
- Snowmobile Adventures & Woolly’s Tube Park: Now Open!
- Tamarack XC: Tamarack Cross-Country Ski Center is OPEN. View the trail map, Conditions or Tamarack Cam on the webpage.
- Town Nordic Trails: The ENTIRE network of Shady Rest Winter Trails are open. All trail conditions and reports can be found here. Please clean up after your pooch, and if you bag it, please take it!
- Winter Recreation Handouts: View the Winter Recreation Map, Shady Rest Winter Trail Map, and Responsible Recreation information handout.
- Inyo Recreation Conditions: View the November 4, 2022 Report.
Mammoth Lakes Recreation Annual Report
We have said it before, but we will never stop celebrating how all of the work gets done within this organization – it is because of your support that we are able to have the reach and impact that we do! From our amazing sponsors and volunteers of the Adopt-A-Trail and Tangle Free Waters programs, to the amazing volunteers that show up for anything we host (even last minute pop-up events), to all of our donors that support the work we do financially, to our incredible Measure U Partners and the work they are doing within our community, and finally our dedicated partners throughout the Eastern Sierra…we truly would not be able to do what we do at MLR without your support. Please take a moment to review our latest Annual Report, give your fellow steward a high five, and join us as we look towards this next year of stewardship and sustainable recreation.
News from the Inyo!
Stay up to date with news, events, and activities on the Inyo National Forest and Mammoth Ranger District.
- Inyo National Forest to Resume Prescribed Burning
- Fuelwood collection season extended
- Inyo National Forest is hiring two student interns
- Recreation Conditions Report
- Dispersed Camping
- News and Events
- Work for the Inyo!
Please Leash Your Dog!
The Mammoth Lakes Police Department is issuing citations to all owners with dogs off-leash at Shady Rest Park and throughout Town after issuing only warnings for the last 2 years. It is unlawful for any dog owner to allow their dog to run at large within the Town of Mammoth Lakes Municipal Boundary. The Eastern Sierra offers an incredible outdoor playground for dog owners to play and walk with your dog(s) off-leash. The Town is moving forward with plans for a dog park with construction expected to commence in the fall of 2023. Thank you for your commitment in keeping Mammoth Lakes safe and beautiful for all to enjoy! Learn more about Dog Resources, Licensing, Education and Enforcement.
Zumba classes are back at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center every Tuesday (October 11 – December 27) and Friday nights (October 7 – December 30), from 6-7pm. Join Coach Denisse, and get you burn and dance on at the same time! Only $10 per class.
CSA#1 Winter Classes
CSA #1 is offering several classes for FREE to the public this winter. Select from Classic Cardio Step+, Yin Yoga, Mountain Stability for Winter Sports, Stretch and Relax and Stott Pilates Matwork. Please click here to learn more!
Mono County Wellness Program Schedule:
Click here for information about the Mammoth Lakes program schedule.
Sunday Senior Doughnut Drop-In
- Sundays from 8:00-10:00am
- Join us for coffee, a light breakfast, community, and conversation
Open Space Hang
- Wednesdays from 6:00-8:00pm
- Sierra Wellness Center, 181 Sierra Manor Road #4, Mammoth Lakes
- Join us for a sober evening of games, music, and community.
Free MyStrength App – Access Code MONO
- Get a flexible and comprehensive digital program with proven tools
- and dedicated support for stress, depression, sleep, and more.
- Get your free app here using the promo code MONO.
Mono Arts Council (MAC) Program Schedule
- Thursday-Monday, 12-6pm
- Open Studio is a community program for folks of all ages to have access to a creative space and materials for artistic projects! Participants may bring their own supplies or use materials provided by MAC for a suggested donation of $5.? Please note that this is a drop-in, self-guided program. Visit the MAC website for details.
Mammoth Lakes Library
Storytime and Reading Challenge
In addition to our weekly Facebook Live Storytimes on Wednesdays at 10:30am and in Spanish alternate Fridays at 10:30am on Mammoth Lakes Library’s Facebook page.
Makerspace and MonoBookBox Program
The library continues to offer free all-ages seasonal Makerspace Kits and Activity Zines for pick up at the front desk, along with Storytime To Go bags for young families at Mammoth Lakes Library. School age kids can still sign up for a few remaining slots in our winter MonoBookBox Program and high school age teens can participate in our Evolution of Storytelling Project which includes free journaling boxes and zine-making kits and this season adds in-house use of iPads for digital story creation and recording equipment for oral history/podcast style storytelling. Adults can take advantage of our Drop-In Sewing Machine Time at the 2nd floor Makerspace every Wednesday from 2:30-4:30pm. Additional information: monocolibraries.org.
- December 20-23: Santaville at The Village at Mammoth
- December 22: Skate with Santa at the Mammoth Ice Rink
- December 31: NYE Fireworks in The Village at Mammoth
- Click here to view the Mammoth Lakes Events Calendar
(From Mammoth Lakes Parks and Recreation)