Winter Storm Alerts and Resources
- A Winter Storm Warning, Flood Advisory and Avalanche Watch remains in effect for Mono County and the Town of Mammoth Lakes through Sunday morning (3/12). The forecast is for 2 to 6 feet above 8,500 feet, and 1 to 2 feet between 7,500 and 8,500 feet including Mammoth Lakes and June Lake.
- NWS Reno is reporting that the majority of moisture has pushed through the region with lesser amounts forecast for Mammoth Lakes through Saturday.
- The best way to avoid being in a winter related accident or stuck in the snow is to slow down, carry and use chains, keep a safe distance between vehicles and don’t drive on closed roads.
- Motorists should not try to avoid road closures or take alternate roads. Do not follow Google maps, your GPS or ask Siri for the back way – if Caltrans says the roads are closed – they are closed! Do not put yourself or others at risk by following your GPS off the main routes – use Caltrans online resources.
- Caltrans has closed U.S. HWY 395 from Bridgeport to the 167 Junction at Mono City due to whiteout conditions. In addition, the highway remains closed from Lee Vining to Bridgeport due to avalanches in the burned area above Mono Lake. The highway is open from Bridgeport north. There is no estimated time for opening the section of U.S. HWY 395 north of Lee Vining where a series of avalanches took out transmission facilities and crossed the road, burying sections of the road under 30-40 feet of snow and debris. The best estimate is the road will be closed in that area for at least this week and into next week. S.R. 167 from U.S. HWY 395 to the Nevada state line is closed. U.S. HWY 395 in the Walker Canyon is closed due to avalanche concerns. Benton Crossing Road remains closed.
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/rev/
- Be Snowsmart this winter: https://www.
- Emergency information: https://www.
- ReadyMono (Winter Storm Information): https://ready.mono.ca.gov/
- Caltrans Quickmap site: https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
- Caltrans District 9 Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
- SCE Outages: (800) 611-1911 or https://www.sce.com/outage-
- CHP Activity (Mono/Inyo Counties): https://cad.chp.ca.gov/
- Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center: https://www.esavalanche.org/
Town Opens Warming/Information Center
- The Town has established an Information/Warming Center in Suite Z located above Starbucks in The Minaret Village Mall (Vons) at 437 Old Mammoth Road.
- The facility will be open till 12pm tonight and from 8am-8pm, Saturday, March 11.
- Staff will have information on weather and road conditions, power outages, and more, including lodging information for those people who have been displaced from their homes or are in need of lodging.
Town Council Meeting Items – March 15, 2023
- Public Hearing: 2023/24 Parks and Recreation Department Fee Schedule Amendments.
- Agreement with Emanuels Jones and Associates for State Legislative Advocacy Consulting Services.
- Fiscal Year 2023/24 Budget – General Fund Revenue Projections.
- Letter of Support for Bioenergy Wood Innovations Grant.
- Update and Direction on Response to Extreme Weather Declared Emergency.
- Review the meeting agenda online.
Town Announces New Woodstove Replacement Program
- Mammoth Lakes officials announced a new Woodstove Replacement Program for property owners who want to upgrade from wood-burning stoves and fireplaces to cleaner, more efficient heating systems.
- The program is designed to help households replace an uncertified woodstove, wood insert, or fireplace used as a primary source of heat with a cleaner burning and more efficient device. Town residents using uncertified woodstoves or wood inserts manufactured before July 1, 1988 or fireplaces as a primary source of heat are eligible for this Program.
- The Program will offer incentives towards the purchase and installation of a qualifying device. There are two incentive options for the program.
- All interested Mammoth Lakes property owners are encouraged to apply online with the application on the project website and contact one of the participating retailers serving the area: A Better Fireplace & Stove Company (760) 934-3453 or Manor True Value Hardware (760) 873-3106.
(From Town of Mammoth Lakes)