Traffic Advisory for the Week of 5/1/2023 – 5/5/2023
EASTERN KERN, INYO, and MONO COUNTIES – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the following project work and traffic impacts for the week of May 1 – May 5.
Work schedules are subject to change due to traffic incidents, weather, availability of equipment and/or materials, and/or construction-related issues.
Eastern Kern County
· Freeman III CAPM – On State Route 14 from 1.1 miles north of Red Rock Canyon Road to 3.3 miles south of the Freeman Gulch bridge, crews will be rehabilitating pavement Monday through Friday from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm. There will be one-way traffic control with a flagger and drivers may experience 20-minute delays.
· State Route 127 Pavement Project – On State Route 127 in eastern Inyo County, crews are rehabilitating pavement by griding down the roadway and overlaying asphalt in two locations:
o From 7 miles north of the town of Shoshone to 7 miles south of Death Valley Junction
o From Death Valley Junction to the Nevada State Line
Work is scheduled for Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. There is one-way traffic control and drivers may experience 20-minute delays.
· Emergency U.S. Highway 395 Closure – On U.S. Highway 395, crews will make emergency repairs to state drainage infrastructure in the town of Olancha beginning Monday at 6:00 am. The highway will be closed 24-hours a day in both directions between the town of Cartago and the junction with State Route 190 in Olancha. The closure is expected to remain in place until Friday, May 5. During this time, through traffic will be rerouted to State Routes 190 and 136 to detour around the closure.
· Bishop Raised Median Project – Though inside northbound and southbound lanes were temporarily reopened at Church Street and Horace Albright Avenue, there will be additional work on this project, possibly as soon as next week. When work resumes, both inside lanes will close 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until the project concludes.
· Mono County Emergency Repair Work – On U.S. Highway 6 between Chalfant and the town of Benton, emergency repair work on the pavement and shoulders is ongoing Monday through Thursday from 6:30 am to 5:00 pm, and on Friday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm. There is one-way traffic control for the duration of the repairs and drivers may experience 20-minute delays.
· Bridgeport Utility Work – On U.S. Highway 395 approximately 1.5 miles south of Buckeye Road, utility crews will perform maintenance on poles on Tuesday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. There will be one-way traffic control and drivers may experience 10-minute delays.
· Coleville Utility Work – On U.S. Highway 395 between Mill Canyon Road and Coleville High School, crews will replace utility wire on Wednesday from 8:00 am to noon. There will be one-way traffic control and drivers may experience 10-minute delays.
Projects on the state highway system with minimal or no delays:
Eastern Kern County
· Rosamond Guardrail Repair – On the northbound on-ramp for State Route 14 at Rosamond Boulevard, crews will repair guardrail on Thursday from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
· Mojave Guardrail Repair – Near the town of Mojave, crews will repair guardrail in the following locations:
o On State Route 14 at the junction with the westbound on- and off-ramps of State Route 58
o On State Route 14 at the junction with the eastbound on- and off-ramps of State Route 58
o On State Route 58 at the westbound on-ramp for State Route 14.
Work is scheduled for Wednesday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm and Thursday from 8:30 am to 11:30 am.
· Tehachapi Pavement Repair – On the westbound lanes of State Route 202 between Sage Lane and W. Tehachapi Boulevard, crews will repair pavement Tuesday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· W. Ward Avenue Closure – On State Route 178 E in the city of Ridgecrest, W. Ward Avenue will be closed at State Route 178 (North China Lake Boulevard) Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Jack’s Ranch Road Pavement Repair – On State Route 178 E from 0.5 miles west of Jack’s Ranch Road to 0.5 miles east in the city of Ridgecrest, crews will repair pavement Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Ridgecrest Curb Work – On State Route 178 E from Moyer Avenue to the north gate of the China Lake Naval Base, the eastbound outside lane will be closed for curb, gutter, and sidewalk work Monday through Friday from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.
· E. Ward Avenue Chip Seal – On State Route 178 E between Drummond Avenue and E. Ward Avenue in the city of Ridgecrest, the westbound shoulder will be closed while crews perform a chip seal project on E. Ward Avenue on Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Olancha Shoulder Closures – On U.S. Highway 395 at the junction with State Route 190 in Olancha, there will be intermittent shoulder closures to allow trucks access to deliver material Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Bishop Golf Course Utility Work – On the shoulders of U.S. Highway 395 between Sunland Reservation Road and Schober Lane, crews will bore the pavement and place utility conduit Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm.
· Main Street Sidewalk Closure – On the northbound side of U.S. Highway 395 (Main Street) between Line Street and Church Street in the city of Bishop, the sidewalk will be closed due to building roof repairs Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.
· Meadow Farms Utility Work – On U.S. Highway 395 between Pa-Ha Lane and Tu-Su Lane in Bishop, there will be utility work on the shoulders Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The State Route 127 Pavement Project received funding from both SB 1 and IIJA. Senate Bill 1 allocated $2,201,109, while the California Transportation Commission allocated an additional $20,118,000 in funding from the Federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) of 2021. SB 1 fully funded the $8,734,000 Freeman III CAPM Project.
SB 1, the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017, provides $5 billion in transportation funding annually split between the state and local agencies. Road projects progress through construction phases more quickly based on the availability of SB 1 funds, including projects that are partially funded by SB 1. For more information about other transportation projects funded by SB 1, visit http://rebuildingca.ca.
Under IIJA, California will receive an estimated $41.9 billion over 5 years. IIJA provides significant funding to Caltrans to improve roadways, bridges, freight projects, public transportation, and safety, and to address climate change. For more information about IIJA, visit http://rebuildingca.ca.gov/
Follow us for the latest information on Facebook (Caltrans District 9) and Twitter (@Caltrans9) or email us at [email protected]. To assist in planning your commute, view live traffic conditions using QuickMap at http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/.
For those with sensory disabilities requiring alternate formats (i.e. Braille, large print, sign language interpreter, etc.) and those needing information in a language other than English, please contact Bob Gossman at 760-881-7145 or TTY 711.
(From Caltrans District 9)