Winter Storm Update – US HWY 395 Reopened to Bishop
Thankfully the multi-day Blizzard Warning for the region expired, but Avalanche Danger remains HIGH throughout the Eastern Sierra. While additional snowfall won’t be an issue for the remainder of the day, fresh light snow and gusty northerly winds may lead to areas of blowing snow and low visibility, especially for US HWY 395. The winds will also make temperatures feel much colder, especially in the mountains. Lighter winds, mild temperatures, and dry conditions will prevail for the end of the week before another storm arrives this Saturday, (3/4) with 6-8” of snow forecast in Town.
As of 10:25am this morning (3/1), US HWY 395 reopened between Bishop and Mammoth Lakes in both directions. State Route 203 between Meridian Blvd. and US 395 is also open in both directions. The highway remains closed from State Route 203 to Bridgeport. Remember that Chain Control Restrictions are in effect.
Do not try and avoid road closures or take alternate roads. Do not follow Google maps, your GPS or ask Siri for the back way – if Caltrans says the roads are closed – they are closed! Do not put yourself or others at risk by following your GPS off the main routes – visit Roads.dot.ca.gov for up to the minute road conditions/chain restrictions or use the Caltrans Quick Map: Quickmap.dot.ca.gov. You can also call the Road Condition Hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).
Winter Storm Resources
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/rev/
- Be Snowsmart this winter: https://www.
- Emergency information: https://www.
- ReadyMono (Winter Storm Information): https://ready.mono.ca.gov/
- ReadyMono (2/27) Situation Report: https://webapps.mono.ca.gov/
ERRR/ready-resources/ READYMono_SituationReport_02. 27.23_FINAL.pdf
- Caltrans Quickmap site: https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
- Caltrans Chain Requirements: https://dot.ca.gov/travel/
- SCE Outage Center: (800) 611-1911 https://www.sce.com/outage-
Be safe all!
(From Town of Mammoth Lakes)