Traffic Advisory for the Week of 12/4/2023 – 12/8/2023
EASTERN KERN, INYO, and MONO COUNTIES – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the following project work and traffic impacts for the week of December 4 – December 8.
Work schedules are subject to change due to traffic incidents, weather, availability of equipment and/or materials, and/or construction-related issues.
· Cartago Traffic Switch – On U.S. 395 north of Cartago, northbound and southbound traffic has switched to temporary lanes. Traffic speeds are reduced to 45 MPH through the current alignment for driver safety. Drivers may experience short delays.
· State Route 190 Repairs – State Route 190 has partially reopened from the junction with State Route 136 to State Route 127 in Death Valley Junction. Drivers will encounter multiple one-way traffic control points and substantial delays inside and outside Death Valley National Park. SR 190 remains closed from the junction with U.S. 395 in Olancha to the junction with State Route 136.
· Furnace Creek Surveying – On State Route 190 from Airport Road to Badwater Road in Death Valley National Park, crews will survey the surrounding landscape on Thursday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. There will be one-way traffic control and drivers may experience 10-minute delays.
· Bishop Christmas Parade – On U.S. 395 from Schober Lane to Sierra Street in Bishop, there will be a Christmas parade on Saturday, December 2. The road will be closed from 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm. Detours will be available.
· Topaz Lake Emergency Repair Project – On U.S. 395 approximately 1.9 miles south of the Nevada State Line, crews are installing rockfall drapery Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. There is one-way traffic control with a pilot car during work hours and drivers may experience 20-minute delays.
· U.S. 6 Shoulder Work – On U.S. 6 from White Mountain Ranch Road to Crestview Drive, crews will work on the shoulders Tuesday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. There will be one-way traffic control and drivers may experience 15-minute delays.
Projects on the state highway system with minimal or no delays:
Eastern Kern County
· Ridgecrest Sewer Replacement – On State Route 178 E between French Avenue and Gemstone Street, crews continue to replace a sewer line Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. Drivers could experience brief delays due to intermittent and turn lane closures.
· State Route 58 Drainage Maintenance – On State Route 58 from Broome Road to State Route 202 in Tehachapi, the eastbound outside lane and shoulder will be closed to allow crews to clear drainage infrastructure Tuesday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm.
· Fort Independence Lighting Project – On U.S. 395 from 0.2 miles south of Miller Lane to just north of Fort Road, crews will install eight safety-enhancing and dark-sky-compliant light standards Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Whitney Portal Road Detour Sign – On U.S. 395 near the intersection with Lubken Canyon Road, there will be portable message signs informing travelers of a detour for Whitney Portal Road Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Olancha Shoulder Closures – On U.S. 395 at the junction with State Route 190 in Olancha, there will be intermittent shoulder closures to allow trucks access to deliver material Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Conway Summit Guardrail Repair – On U.S. 395 from State Route 167 to Virginia Lakes Road, crews will repair guardrail on both sides of the highway Tuesday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Travelers are asked to be attentive to workers on the highway, slow for the cone zone, and move over whenever possible to give additional clearance. Be Safe and Be Work Zone Alert!
Follow us for the latest information on Facebook (Caltrans District 9), Twitter (@Caltrans9), and Instagram (@Caltransd9), or email us at [email protected]. To assist in planning your commute, view live traffic conditions using QuickMap at http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/.
For those with sensory disabilities requiring alternate formats (i.e., Braille, large print, sign language interpreter, etc.) and those needing information in a language other than English, please contact Bob Gossman at 760-881-7145 or TTY 711.