MONO COUNTY — Caltrans will open State Route 120 W at the Lee Vining Gate today at 4:00 pm. The road was originally closed for the winter season in December of last year. Maintenance crews have been working diligently to prepare the highway for the spring and summer travel season by removing snow and repairing pavement and rock berms damaged by winter storms.
While the Caltrans gate on State Route 120 W will open today, the eastern entrance to Yosemite National Park remains closed.
With this opening, six of Caltrans District 9’s eight winter roads are open, including:
- State Route 89/Monitor Pass
- State Route 120 W at the Lee Vining Gate
- State Route 120 E/Mono Mills Road
- State Route 158 N/North June Lake Loop
- State Route 270/Bodie Road
- State Route 168 W at Aspendell
As of today, April 29, the following roads remain closed:
- State Route 108/Sonora Pass
- State Route 203 at Mammoth Mountain Inn
Additionally, the Crestview Safety Roadside Rest Area is closed to travelers as Caltrans works to finalize the facility for public use.
Jesse is a media content creator and film maker from the Eastern Sierra.