“I’d like an order of Thanksgiving dinner that packs a nutrition punch with all the taste, please!”
Is this just me, or would you love this too?!
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I mean what’s not to love about family, friends, food, and football.
While I definitely don’t feel bad about treating myself (and you shouldn’t either), I do like to pack a nutrition punch in my Thanksgiving dinner when I can!
Here are 5 simple tips for sneaking some “healthy” into your turkey day dinner!
1. Make fresh green beans with toasted almonds and cranberries.
2. Use fresh sweet potatoes and sweeten with natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and a dash of brown sugar. Hold the marshmallows.
3. Swap heavy cream for 2% or skim milk in your mashed potatoes, pie fillings, etc.
4. Season your sides with fresh herbs and cut back on the salt.
5. Make a gorgeous veggie tray for your appetizer to help people fill up on veggies most.
Here are my tips to keep you on track on Thanksgiving Day.
1. Drink plenty of water all day long.
2. Get in a morning workout.
3. Definitely do not fast and save all your calories for dinner time. Instead eat something small every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going.
4. Fill you plate with veggies first, then followed by protein and then fill the plate with carbohydrates
5. Definitely enjoy the pie
There’s 365 days in a year if you eat on point 80% of the year Thanksgiving Dinner will not matter! Enjoy the food and enjoy your family.
Which of these tips (or all of them) are you going to try out this Thanksgiving?
Ashley is certified Elite Trainer from ISSA helping busy women get healthy and fit online and in person.