Reds Meadow Road Scheduled to Close October 11
- September 5: seasonal shuttle service to Reds Meadow ends. Please check with Eastern Sierra Transit Authority for additional information.
- October 1: tree clearing will begin. During this time, there will be up to thirty minute traffic delays.
- October 11: Reds Meadow Road will fully close to the public to ensure tree removal and hauling is completed before the winter weather prevents them from doing so.
- Overnight parking will not be available for backpackers in Reds Meadow Valley.
- Alternative routes for backpackers are being offered to wilderness permit holders. For more information, please contact our Wilderness Permit office at (760) 873-2483.
The Reds Meadow Reconstruction Project, which will continue into 2024, will provide major safety and traffic improvements, made possible through a Federal Lands Access Program grant received by the Town of Mammoth Lakes.
A Forest Order for the road closure will be forthcoming, and located on Inyo National Forest Orders page when available.
(From Inyo National Forest)