Mammoth Lakes Community Update – May 20, 2022
Special Town Council Meeting – May 25
The Town Council and Planning and Economic Development Commission (PEDC) will hold a special meeting at 4pm on May 25 in Suite Z (Council Chambers) on Phase II of the Parcel. Items include:
– The concept design for the Phase II project incorporating 141+ units will be presented.
– The Town will consider funding agreements for the Phase II project including the sale of land, and a loan for deferral of Development Impact Fees.
– Review the Town’s ongoing commitment to assist with funding to secure grants and other funding sources for the construction of Phase II. Through the Town’s Housing Now! Initiative the Council has set aside $2.2 million to date for Phase II, with a goal of $5.1 million.
Housing Now! Updates
– Phase 1 construction of 81 units is underway. Construction funding includes a portion of a $20.6 million Infill Infrastructure Grant and a $38.6 million Housing Accelerator Grant. Including previous planning grants received by the Town and the joint grants with Pacific Companies, over $60 million in grant funds have been secured for the Parcel project.
– The Town joint application with Mammoth Lakes Housing (MLH) for Homekey funds has been approved, providing an additional $4.56 million in housing funds. The Town and County leveraged an additional $1.55 million for this project.
– The application for $3 million in Community Development Block Grant Funds for the Access Apartments project was approved, along with MLH’s application for a $3.4 million HOME grant.
Micro-Mobility Bird Scooters Now in Mammoth Lakes!
– Bird deployed their eco-friendly electric scooters in Mammoth Lakes last week. The pilot program involves Bird initial delivery of 50 electric scooters to the Town.
– Scooters are permitted on paths and trails that are currently authorized for e-bikes; however, they are limited to specific areas throughout town (not permitted in Lakes Basin), and have built in speed limits, slow zones, no riding zones, and preferred parking areas.
– Scooter riders need to be 18 years or older, have a valid driver’s license and are recommended to wear a helmet.
– Help Bird Keep Sidewalks Clear: Download the Bird App, email: [email protected] or call (866) 205-2442.
Town COVID-19 Update
• Mono County had 20 cases the week ending May 14, 2022.
• OptumServe Testing is at Canyon Lodge: 11am-7pm Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.
• Click here for additional COVID-19 information.
Parks, Recreation, Trails and Road Opening Updates
– Work is underway at Mammoth Creek Park to erect the new Community Recreation Center (CRC). Look for the weekly #crcupdates and time-lapse video on the Town’s Facebook page.
– The Whitmore Pool is now OPEN for lap swim and Swim Team practice sessions. Pool opens for public swimming on June 11.
– Click here to view the status of our parks, facilities, MUP’s and sidewalks.
– For cycling enthusiasts Tioga Pass will be opening on Saturday, May 21 for bicycle access. Tioga Road (Hwy 120 through the park) will open on Friday, May 27, at 9am (reservation is required from 6am to 4pm).
– The Lakes Basin Road and Multi Use Path are clear and may be accessed by pedestrians and bicyclists. Please use caution in the area, watch for hazards and debris on roads and paths.
(From Town of Mammoth Lakes)