FEMA Funding Assistance Deadline Extended to July 20
- Renters and homeowners in Mono County eligible for FEMA assistance due to the severe storms and flooding that took place in February and March NOW have an additional 45 days, until July 20, 2023, to apply for FEMA assistance. The previous deadline was Monday, June 5.
- As of June 2, 2023, more than $33.5 million in federal assistance has been approved for survivors of the designated counties.
- There are 4 ways to apply for FEMA: visit the Disaster Recovery Center between 9am-6pm at the Mono County Civic Center through June 17, online at DisasterAssistance.gov, the FEMA mobile app or by calling FEMA at 800-621-3362.
Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) NOW OPEN to June 17
- The FEMA Disaster Resource Center (DRC) at the Mono County Civic Center (1290 Tavern Road) in Mammoth Lakes is now open for an additional 8 day period through Saturday, June 17, 2023.
- The DRC is open daily (except Sunday) from 9am-6pm.
- Individuals, families or business owners impacted by the recent disaster may be eligible for financial assistance to support recovery and rebuilding. FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial assistance and direct services to eligible individuals and households affected by a disaster who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs.
Wildfire Resilience Week Begins June 11
- In coordination with the Whitebark Institute, Mono County and Inyo County are hosting the first annual Wildlife Resilience Week with workshops scheduled from June 11-16 throughout the Eastern Sierra from June Lake to Lone Pine.
- Multiple event opportunities will be tailored for a variety of audiences including homeowners, renters, and HOA’s; contractors, building suppliers, and landscapers; tribal leaders, realtors, potential home buyers, and any business or property owners looking to reduce wildfire insurance rates by creating FireWise neighborhoods.
- View the event schedule and location details online.
Community Conversation – TBID & Measure A Discussion
- Mayor John Wentworth and Councilmember Chris Bubser are hosting a Community Conversation regarding the TBID and Measure A allocations for tourism beginning at 6:30pm on Monday, June 12 downstairs at the Eatery (Mammoth Brewing Co.).
- Please call (760) 914-3221 for questions or additional information.
Lakes Basin Update
- The Lakes Basin still has a considerable amount of snow that will delay recreation activities this spring/summer.
- The Town is planning to begin clearing snow from Lake Mary Road throughout the Lakes Basin on Monday, June 19, 2023. This activity is estimated to take approximately 5-7 days, pending the composition of the deep and dense snowpack.
- Once cleared, the road will open for USFS administrative, utility and contractor access to begin operations to safely reopen the Lakes Basin for permitted operators and summer visitation.
- The USFS will determine the opening date for the Lakes Basin.
- The Town will provide regular updates to the public via Facebook and Instagram regarding the opening of the Lakes Basin.
Funds Still Available for Woodstove Replacement Program
- The Town is still accepting applications for the Woodstove Replacement Program for property owners who want to upgrade from wood-burning stoves and fireplaces to cleaner, more efficient heating systems.
- Town residents using uncertified woodstoves or wood inserts manufactured before July 1, 1988 or fireplaces as a primary source of heat are eligible for this Program. The Program will offer incentives towards the purchase and installation of a qualifying device. There are two incentive options for the program.
- This program is open to the public through local participating retailers on a ‘first-come, first-serve’ basis until all allocated funds are exhausted. Qualified payments for new systems will only be made to participating retailers.
- All interested Mammoth Lakes property owners are encouraged to apply with the application on the project website and contact one of the participating retailers serving the area: A Better Fireplace & Stove Company (760) 934-3453 or Manor True Value Hardware (760) 873-3106.