Inyo National Forest Recreation Site Statuses for Nov. 4, 2022
Inyo National Forest Recreation Site Statuses
November 4, 2022
Mono Lake Ranger District:
Campgrounds Open: Glass Creek (Closing early on 11/6 due to incoming weather and no camp host)
Campgrounds Closed: Silver Lake, Lower Lee Vining Gull Lake, June Lake, Oh Ridge, Aerie Crag (overflow, no campfires/water), Aspen, Big Springs, Reversed Creek, Big Bend, Ellery Lake, Junction, Hartley Springs, Saddlebag Lake, Sawmill Walk-in, Tioga Lake, Moraine, Saddlebag Trailhead Group, Obsidian Flat Group, Upper and Lower Deadman.
Roads Closed: Highway 120 (Tioga Pass): www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaclosed.htm
Note: Silver Lake Boat launch is still under construction due to delays in asphalt equipment availability.
Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center is now closed.
Mammoth Ranger District
Campgrounds Open: none.
Campgrounds Closed: New Shady Rest, Twin Lakes, Old Shady Rest, Pine City, Pine Glen and Pine Glen Group, Lake Mary, Lake George, Coldwater, Sherwin Creek, Reds Meadow, Agnew Meadows, Agnew Meadows Horse, Agnew Meadows Group, Pumice Flat, Pumice Flat Group, Minaret Falls, Upper Soda Springs.
Old Mammoth Road and Lake Mary Road at the following locations until further notice:
- Old Mammoth Road just above La Verne Street (at Mill City)
- Lake Mary Road just above Twin Lakes Loop Road intersection
- Twin Lakes Loop Road at Tamarack Lodge
- Old Mammoth Road at Lake Mary Road intersection
To access the Lakes Basin area, parking is permitted along the shoulder. Be sure to park off pavement and do not impede traffic.
Reds Meadow Road closed on October 11.
Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Winter schedule TBD. Wood cutting permits are available for sale from Tuesday through Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2 – 4:00 p.m.
White Mountain Ranger District
Grandview, Bitterbrush (no services or fees, toilet available but not serviced regularly).
Campgrounds Closed: Mosquito Flat Backpacker (gate closed due to snow), Big Meadow, Iris Meadow, Sabrina, Bishop Park, Upper and Lower Intake 2, Forks, Four Jeffrey, Upper Sage, Big Trees, Convict Lake, McGee Creek, French Camp, Tuff, Aspen Group, Big Pine Canyon Group – Clyde and Palisade Glacier, Cedar Flat Group, Mountain Glen, Pine Grove and Upper Pine Grove, East Fork, Palisade Group, Rock Creek Lake, Rock Creek Group, Willow, Table Mountain Group, Sage Flat, North Lake.
White Mountain Public Lands Information Center is now closed.
Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest – Schulman Grove Visitor Center closes on November 12 (weather dependent).
Mount Whitney Ranger District
Campgrounds open: Lone Pine (no water, no fee), Cottonwood Lakes and Cottonwood Pass Walk-Ins (no water, no services, no fee), Horseshoe Meadow Equestrian (no water, no fee), Kennedy Meadows (no water, no services except portable toilet), Lower Grays Meadow (no water, no services, no fee, but toilets available).
Campgrounds Closed: Onion Valley, Upper Grays Meadow, Whitney Portal Group (includes Ravine campsite), Whitney Portal Trailhead
Eastern Sierra Visitor Center: Open Daily, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Other important items of note
- The Inyo National Forest and Bishop Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lifted campfire restrictions on October 31, 2022. Campfires are now permitted outside of designated, developed recreation sites. Fires must have at least 10 feet of flammable material cleared around it. Please use existing rock rings over creating new ones. A valid California Campfire permit is still required.
- Fuelwood collection season has been extended one month until November 30, unless weather conditions causes it to end sooner. Get your permit now if you haven’t already: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/?cid=fseprd541256
- The Inyo National Forest Supervisor’s Office at 351 Pacu Lane in Bishop will be closed on November 24-25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
(From Inyo National Forest)