French Fire Now 100% Contained
For Immediate Release – USDA Forest Service, 10-19-2021
Location: BLM/Forest Service 30 Miles NE Bakersfield
Acres Burned: 26,535 acres
Structures Threatened: 0
Structures Destroyed: 49
Fire Started: August 18-2021
Total personnel assigned to the fire: 13
Engine 44 Patrol 43, 44, Maintenance 1 and STF Dozer 51 Patrolled the French fire this afternoon and found 1 smoke.
The Fire area received significant precipitation today amounts ranged from .3 – .4 inches of rain below 6000 Ft. elevation. Above 6000 Ft. elevation the fire area received between 1-3 inches of snow. Winds were between 12-25 MPH out of the Northwest. Due to the weather conditions resources stayed off the dirt roads until patrols could be completed after 1230 this afternoon.
After consideration and ground truthing the incident I am happy to announce that the French Fire Status is 100% contained as of 1800 this evening on 10-18-2021. The French will remain in Patrol status until further notice.
The remaining resources assigned to the French which are STF Dozer 51 and Patrol 43 will continue patrol / Repair work until their last work shift on Wednesday Oct. 20th . Captain 44 will remain as the point of contact for the French incident through the 20th of Oct.
French Suppression Repair is currently at 98% complete. The completed suppression repair list is attached below. Outstanding
- a half mile of water bars on the dozer line that connects pascoes homestead to cane
- 100ft. of fence work in the southwest corner of Alder Creek Campground
- a quarter mile of trail to be installed on the 34E61.
Road work will continue with Maintenance 1 plus 2 through Oct. 31st, weather dependent.
Patrols and Fire resources continue to enforce and educate members of the public on current closure information. The past several shifts have seen a rise in public presence in the French closure area.
Further discussion on future enforcement plans for Fire closure area are in process. No change to closure currency to date.
SCE Power Lines Operations:
All power polls impacted by the French fire have been replaced. New service lines are beginning to be installed and SCE vegetation management is still removing trees on Rancheria Rd. The large chip piles located at the landing off of Windy Gap road are currently being removed and hauled away.
Please feel free to contact Edward Fulton Captain 44 with any questions you may have. Thank you.
French Completed Suppression Repair List:
General Area: Borderline
- Dozer Line from Piston Rock to Browns Mil (Doable with Hand Crew).
- Dozer Line from Browns Mil to BLM (Excavator Work).
General Area: Basket Pass
- Dozer Lines from DP 84 to Forest Boundary. (Dozer and Excavator Work)
- Road North of DP84 needs to be closed trough out and blocked off at junction of DP84.
- Fencing Repair at Forest Boundary with Private. (Hand Crew Work).
- Fencing Repair West of H11 (Hand Crew Work).
General Area: Alder Creek
- Dozer Lines south of Alder Creek (High Priority) (New Road Constructed south of Alder Creek needs to be
fully decommissioned) (Dozer and Excavator Work).
- Dozer Lines North of Alder Creek (Dozer and Excavator Work).
- Fencing Repair south of Alder Creek. (Hand Crew Work).
General Area: Cedar Creek
- Dozer Lines south of Cedar Creek (Dozer and Excavator Work).
General Area: Owl Mine
- Dozer lines from DP 22 West (Dozer Excavator Work).
- Dozer line from 155 heading west (fully decommissioned road and block off entrance) (Dozer Work).
General Area: Black Mountain
- Dozer lines from DP 22 East toward Black Mountain Saddle. (Dozer and Excavator Work).
- Reestablish Dozed Trails on Black Mountain Area Behind Sand Shed (32E61 & 32E62) (Hand Crew Work).
General Area: Calf Creek
- Dozer line from Calf Creek to Cane Springs (High Priority) (fully decommissioned road and block off
entrance). (Excavator Work).
All Road Repairs with Road Contract.