SACRAMENTO – Assemblyman Jim Patterson (R-Fresno) and a bipartisan coalition of legislators will submit an official request to the Joint Legislative Audit Committee today for an independent investigation of the California State University system’s handling of Title IX violations at Fresno State and other universities. JLAC members will vote on the audit at their next meeting on June 27. Assemblyman Patterson will be available to discuss the audit request today at 11:30am via Zoom.
The audit request comes in response to numerous allegations of harassment and Title IX violations at Fresno State involving a high-level administrator. There is widespread concern that this is not an isolated incident – but that there are serious problems involving Title IX related issues at CSU campuses throughout the state.
While the California State University Board of Trustees have hired a private law firm to investigate Title IX violations at Fresno State, there is no guarantee that the investigation will be independent and it’s unlikely the full report would be made public.
“The results of this audit will be made available to the legislature and to the public. It will also suggest systemic changes to prevent future Title IX issues,” Assemblyman Patterson said. “We can’t expect the same kind of accountability from a lawyer hired by the CSU to investigate the CSU.”
- Review efforts by the following entities to address allegations of sexual harassment: California State University Office of the Chancellor; California State University, Fresno; San Jose State University; and Sonoma State University
- Review CSU system-wide Title IX office & investigatory process
- Review university sexual harassment policies and procedures
- Identify the total number of sexual harassment complaints as well as the timeliness in resolving the complaints over the past 5 years
- Identify instances of executives receiving golden handshakes and retreat rights over the past five years
- Review any policies or practices associated with letters of recommendation and employees who are alleged perpetrators of sexual harassment
WHEN: Monday, May 2, 2022 at 11:30am
ZOOM LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81132248507
Meeting ID: 811 3224 8507
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,81132248507# US (San Jose) 13462487799,,81132248507# US