Haunted Party on Wheels this Friday!
Join the Parks and Recreation Department and our many community partners at the outdoor ice rink this Friday, October 28 for the annual Haunted Party on Wheels event from 5-8pm. Entry fee for elementary-aged children is only $5.00 (adults are FREE). Celebrate Halloween with spooky fun games, the Husky Club Cake Walk, face painting, and the scariest, cutest, most creative, and funniest Costume Contest ever! Skateboards, balance bikes, scooters, and roller skates/blades are welcome – no skate rentals will be available. Click here to register online to skip the line or call Parks and Recreation at (760) 965-3690 for event details.
Open Registration for Winter Programs Starts October 31!
Open Registration commences on Monday, October 31 at 9:00am for all remaining winter program eligible spots for your child. Winter programs include ice skating lessons, gymnastics, Hot Shots Basketball, Cooking class, and more! Reserve online beginning October 31 or call Parks and Recreation at (760) 965-3690 for details.
Mammoth Ice Rink to Reopen for Thanksgiving!
The Town will be re-opening the outdoor ice rink for Thanksgiving on Friday, November 25, 2022 (subject to weather). This will ensure that our community of ice skaters, figure skaters and curlers, and our many winter visitors looking to skate outdoors under lights, along with our expanding local youth/adult hockey programs will be able to enjoy professionally maintained and refrigerated outdoor ice this winter. Please visit the rink website to review the updated winter schedule, rates and session times.
Park, Facilities and Trails Update
Please click here to view the status of our parks, facilities, MUP’s and sidewalks. Please respect our parks and facilities by taking care of your trash, pick-up after your pet and keep your dog on a leash. Thank you!
Community Recreation Center (CRC) Update
This week, the parking lot was completed, the end walls and interior insulation are almost installed, the bus shelter rock work looks great – windows next, and subcontractors are onsite working on plumbing, electrical and to enclose the structure. The Town appreciates the community’s understanding and patience as we work towards enhancing our community recreation amenities. Look for the weekly #crcupdates on the Town’s Facebook page. Temporary park closure: For the duration of construction for the new Community Recreation Center, the Mammoth Creek Park playground, restrooms and parking lot will be CLOSED to the public.
Work for Parks and Recreation!
If you’re passionate about recreation in our local community and want to secure a job with parks and Recreation then Click here to learn more and apply! Open positions include Mammoth Ice Rink Facility Staff, Recreation Coordinators and Sports Officials.
News from the Inyo!
Stay up to date with news, events, and activities on the Inyo National Forest and Mammoth Ranger District.
- Fuelwood collection season extended
- Opportunity for public input on forest health project
- Inyo National Forest is hiring two student interns
- Inyo National Forest is hiring 2023 seasonal staff
- Recreation Conditions Report
- Fire Management
- Dispersed Camping
- News and Events
- Work for the Inyo!
Please Leash Your Dog!
The Mammoth Lakes Police Department is issuing citations to all owners with dogs off-leash at Shady Rest Park and throughout Town after issuing only warnings for the last 2 years. It is unlawful for any dog owner to allow their dog to run at large within the Town of Mammoth Lakes Municipal Boundary. The Eastern Sierra offers an incredible outdoor playground for dog owners to play and walk with your dog(s) off-leash. The Town is moving forward with plans for a dog park with construction expected to commence in the fall of 2023. Thank you for your commitment in keeping Mammoth Lakes safe and beautiful for all to enjoy! Learn more about Dog Resources, Licensing, Education and Enforcement.
The lights are back on at the Edison Theatre!
On July 6, Town Council approved an agreement with the Mammoth Lakes Foundation for the Parks and Recreation Department to operate the Edison Theatre. The Theatre hosted the Youtheatre production of “Annie” in August and the “The Marvelous Wonderettes Dream On!” this past week. Please contact the Park and Recreation Department at (760) 965-3690 to learn more or to reserve the theatre for your private gathering or event.
Zumba classes are back at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center every Tuesday (October 11 – December 27) and Friday nights (October 7 – December 30), from 6-7pm. Join Coach Denisse, and get you burn and dance on at the same time! Only $10 per class.
Latin Night at Mammoth Rock ‘n’ Bowl
Open Mic Mondays
Mono County Wellness Program Schedule
Click here for information about the Mammoth Lakes program schedule
- Join us at the Sierra Wellness Center on Saturday, October 29 from 6:00 to 8:00pm for a free community potluck in celebration of our LBGTQ+ community and Halloween.
Sunday Senior Doughnut Drop-In
- Sundays 8:00-10:00am
- Various Locations Join us for coffee, a light breakfast, community, and conversation on Sunday mornings:
- November 6: Looney Bean
- November 13: Stellar Brew
- November 20: Black Velvet
- November 27: Mammoth Coffee Roasters
Open Space Hang
- Wednesdays, 6:00-8:00pm
- Sierra Wellness Center, 181 Sierra Manor Road #4, Mammoth Lakes
- Join us for a sober evening of games, music, and community.
Free MyStrength App – Access Code MONO
- Get a flexible and comprehensive digital program with proven tools
- and dedicated support for stress, depression, sleep, and more.
- Get your free app here using the promo code MONO.
Mono Arts Council (MAC) Program Schedule
Introduction to Stained Glass, with Susi Bains
- Friday, November 11, 5:30-8:30pm
- Stained glass windows and art dates back to the 7th century, and we still enjoy it today! Join us for an evening learning the basics of how to cut and solder glass into beautiful stained glass feathers, expertly taught by Susi Bains of Owl Moon Studios. Laughs and shattering glass guaranteed! Register on our website.
Knit a Hat (knitting basics), with Sandra DiDomizio
- Wednesday, November 16, 5:30-8:30pm
- Expertly guided by Sandra DiDomizio, we will knit a cozy and stylish winter hat out of Merino Wool from Italy – of course! Just in time for Holiday gift-making. Sandra will walk us through knitting basics and you will get to take the materials and instructions home in case you don’t finish. Also, keep the knitting needles for future projects! Register on our website.
- Thursday-Monday, 12-6pm
- Open Studio is a community program for folks of all ages to have access to a creative space and materials for artistic projects! Participants may bring their own supplies or use materials provided by MAC for a suggested donation of $5.? Please note that this is a drop-in, self-guided program. Visit the MAC website for details.
Mammoth Lakes Library
Storytime and Reading Challenge
In addition to our weekly Facebook Live Storytimes on Wednesdays at 10:30am and in Spanish alternate Fridays at 10:30am on Mammoth Lakes Library’s Facebook page.
Makerspace and MonoBookBox Program
The library continues to offer free all-ages seasonal Makerspace Kits and Activity Zines for pick up at the front desk, along with Storytime To Go bags for young families at Mammoth Lakes Library. School age kids can still sign up for a few remaining slots in our winter MonoBookBox Program and high school age teens can participate in our Evolution of Storytelling Project which includes free journaling boxes and zine-making kits and this season adds in-house use of iPads for digital story creation and recording equipment for oral history/podcast style storytelling. Adults can take advantage of our Drop-In Sewing Machine Time at the 2nd floor Makerspace every Wednesday from 2:30-4:30pm. Additional information: monocolibraries.org.
October 27: MHS Volleyball Playoff Game at 5:30pm vs Justin Garza
November 1: Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting
November 1: Mammoth Lakes Recreation Board Meeting
November 7: Fentanyl and Overdose Prevention Education Night, MMS 6pm
November 11: Mammoth Mountain Opening Day!
November 25: Mammoth Ice Rink Opening Day – FREE Skate Night!
Click here to view the Mammoth Lakes Events Calendar
(From Mammoth Lakes Parks and Recreation)