News this Week…
- Mammoth Parks and Recreation Fall Programming goes on sale Monday, August 28 at 9am
- The summer Town Parcels Fuels Reduction Program is underway in the Mammoth Creek area.
- Whitmore Pool closes for public swim this Sunday (8/27) – lap swim extended to Sept. 8.
- The Reds Meadow Road Reconstruction Project begins September 18
- Enjoy this weekend’s events including the Mammoth Shakespeare Festival’s production of Hamlet at The Woodsite, Mammoth Rocks in The Village, the Mammoth Motocross and on Saturday, the annual Wave Rave Skate Contest at the Volcom Brothers Skatepark.
2023 Summer Camps are a Wrap!
- What a wonderful summer we just wrapped up! Parks and Recreation hosted 619 campers this summer in 49 different camps over 9 short weeks in a wide range of activities from action-based climbing, mountain biking, and skateboarding – to arts-based photography and theatre – to outdoor education-based nature, wilderness, and backpacking camps. Whooeee! It has been an absolute joy to provide these amazing experiences for your children.
- Over the next few weeks, the crew will be compiling all the photos that we took over the summer and putting them together into a highlight video. We will be sure to share it with you when finished. Even though camps are done, were always looking for ways to improve our programs. Please look for a survey link from the team and we would be grateful if you provided your feedback, input and camp recommendations for next summer.
Registration for Youth Fall Programming OPENS August 28!
- Registration for fall programming opens Monday, August 28 at 9:00am. Programs for youth this fall include:
- Gymnastics Classes: Join coach Julie at the community center. Learn to flip, tumble, and roll – for ages 3-12, all skill levels welcome.
- Skate Squad: We’ll collect students immediately after school and go ride at Volcom Brothers Skate Park. For grades 3-5.
- Bike Squad: Shred some trails with us on bikes! We’ll pick students up immediately after school and finish at the new Pickleball Complex. For grades 1-5.
- Xtreme Tennis Kids: Join Coach Matt and Kerri to improve your tennis game at the community center tennis courts. For ages 6-18. All skill levels welcome.
- Scholarships are available for all programs! Fill out an application here: Tony Colasardo Scholarship.
- Program information is available online with registration on DaySmart Recreation.
Summer Adult Program Update
- The Whitmore Pool is scheduled to close for public swim at 6pm this Sunday, August 27.
- Lap Swim at the Whitmore Pool has been extended to Friday, September 8 with an additional hour in the morning beginning on Monday, August 28. The revised schedule is as follows: Monday-Friday: 6:30-9:30am, Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 5:30-7:30pm.
Tennis Court Rehabilitation and Pickleball Complex Projects Underway!
- On March 1, 2023, Town Council approved a $275,000 Agreement with AllSport America, Inc. for the installation of a Sport Court modular overlay surface on Community Tennis Courts 5/6 and the installation of 6 regulation Pickleball courts on the old ice rink site, adjacent to the Mammoth Lakes Library.
- In addition to the new SportGame™ Pickleball surface for the tennis courts, new net posts will also be installed on courts 5/6, one fixed height tempered-glass basketball system will be installed on court 1 and at Shady Rest Park (replaces existing backboard/hoop), with an additional Pickleball court striped on court 2.
- Courts 1-4 will remain open during construction, pending access through courts 5/6.
- Work is scheduled to be completed after the Labor Day Weekend.
Community Recreation Center (CRC) Update
- Dry wall has been installed on the lobby restrooms, storage, mechanical, and Zamboni rooms.
- Crews have started prep work to pour the front pergola footings.
- The masonry on the mechanical enclosure room and trash room has progressed and is nearing completion.
- Work has begun on pouring the curbs for the glazing walls on the north and south side of the Sprung Structure.
- We look forward to opening LA Kings Ice at Mammoth Lakes later this year and the town appreciates the community’s patience and support as we work to grow recreation opportunities for our community.
Recreation this Week is Moving!
- Recreation This Week will be migrating to a new format. If you want to continue to receive community recreation news, activities and events directly to your inbox, you must create a Profile on DaySmart, our new online Reservation Platform.
- If you already have a profile you are good to go!
- Don’t miss a week – click here to create your personal profile.
Park and Recreation Facilities Update
- Parks and Facilities currently open include: Whitmore Pool (lap swim and public swim/lessons), Whitmore Recreation Area (all ball fields and the Synthetic Sports Field & Track), Shady Rest Park (playground, restrooms, ball fields, soccer fields and DiscGolfPark®), Volcom Brothers Skatepark & Little Brothers Skatepark, Trails End Park, Mammoth Creek East restrooms, Community Center Tennis Courts 1-4, Pickleball Court (Court 1), restrooms and playground.
- Click here to view the updated status of Town parks, trails, and facilities.
Work for Parks and Rec!
- Parks and Recreation is currently recruiting for awesome people to join our team:
- Parks & Recreation and Public Works Temporary Positions
- To be considered for an open recruitment, all applicants must submit an online application.
- Wave Rave presents the 24th Annual Skate Contest at Volcom Brothers Skatepark this Saturday, August 26. This event features skateboarding action in both street and bowl disciplines with different classes and age groups for contestants. Spectators are welcome to check out the fun all day long with tons of prizes, free giveaways, and music by DJ RNDM. Helmets are required. $10 per event. Advanced registration: liveheats.com/waverave
- Mammoth Shakespeare Festival presents the TRAGEDY of all TRAGEDIES…Hamlet through September 3 at The Woodsite, Thursday – Sunday at 7pm, with a 6pm pre-show introduction. Seats are first come first serve. Drinks and merchandise for sale. Suggested $20 donation at the venue but nobody is turned away for lack of funds.
- Register for the Crowley Lake Fun Run on September 24. All proceeds benefit the local community with active classes, special workshops, and neighborhood improvements.
- Eastern Sierra Interpretative Association offers year-round interpretive walks, hikes, and talks. This summer’s offerings include Mono Lakes Bird Walks, Panum Crater Tours, Wildflower Walks and Summer Evening Naturalist Talks. For more information, please click here.
- Mammoth Youth Hockey registration is OPEN for the 2023-24 season. For more information, or to register, please click here.
Summer Town Parcels Fuels Reduction Program Begins August 24
- Beginning Thursday, August 24 through Friday, September 29, sections of the multi-use path (MUP) will be closed between the Waterford Bridge and Juniper Springs Lodge for fuels reduction. Please view the project maps for scheduled closures and detours. In the interest of public safety, please stay out of the project area for your safety and the safety of the crews.
- The planned fuels reduction work managed by the Whitebark Institute is a program of the Eastern Sierra Climate and Communities Resilience Project (ESCCRP), also known as the “Mammoth Donut Project.”
- Treatment work includes the removal of live, dead, and infested trees that will help us maintain this beautiful place for years to come. While things may look different the next time you visit this area, this is important work for the health, safety and resilience of our forest. Throughout the rest of the fall, fuel reduction efforts will also take place on two other parcels in Mammoth Lakes so stay tuned for more information.
- You can find more information on the project here.
Reds Meadow Road Reconstruction Project Begins September 18
- The Reds Meadow Road construction project is scheduled to commence on Monday, September 18, 2023.
- A Full Closure (emergency and administrative traffic only) will be in place Monday through Friday.
- The road will open to the public on Saturday and Sunday ONLY.
- All Forest Service campgrounds in Reds Meadow will close on Sunday, September 17, 2023.
- Please visit the dedicated USFS Reds Meadow Reconstruction Project website for additional information.
Mammoth Mountain Summer Activities
- Discovery Chair (11), Panorama Lower, and Panorama Upper are open for mountain biking from 9AM-5PM. The last ride up to McCoy for mountain bikers is at 5PM and the last ride from McCoy to the Summit is at 4:30PM. Last day for the Bike Park is September 17.
- Chain Smoke and Twilight Zone open for the season Friday 8/25.
- Main Lodge Trail from McCoy Station, Mammoth Mountain Hiking Trail and the Lakes Basin Overlook are now open for hiking.
- The Adventure Center will close for the season on Sunday 9/4. Come do a final lap on the Ropes Course before it closes for the season!
- Scenic rides are available from 9AM-5PM daily with the last ride from the bottom at 4:30PM for a ride around only. Last ticket is sold at 4:25PM.
- Monster Energy Mammoth Motocross kicks into gear 8/25 through 9/3. Come watch some of the best riders compete to bring home the Mammoth Bear trophy.
Upcoming Special Events
- August 17-Sept. 3: Mammoth Shakespeare Festival presents Hamlet
- August 25-Sept. 3: Monster Energy Mammoth Motocross
- August 25-26: Mammoth Rocks
- August 26: 24th Annual Wave Rave Skate Contest
- Sept. 1-3: Mammoth Rock N Rye
- Sept. 9: Mammoth Gran Fondo
- Sept. 14-17: Mammoth Yoga Festival
- Sept. 16: Mammoth Tuff
- Sept. 16: Sierra Nevada Concert
- Sept. 21-24: Mammoth Trail Fest
- Sept. 24: Crowley Lake Trail Run
- October 5-9: Obstacle Course Racing World Championships
- Click here to view the Mammoth Lakes Events Calendar.