Mono County Enters “High” COVID-19 Community Transmission Level
On Thursday, July 7, Mono County COVID-19 cases increased to 27.7 cases per week per 100,000 individuals placing the county in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDCs) COVID-19 “High” Community Transmission Level. Following this uptick in positive COVID-19 cases, coupled with a revolving door of visitors from other “High” Community Transmission Level counties, the Mono County Health Department is recommending additional public health protocols (The SMARTER Steps) to help slow community spread. These include: Wearing a mask indoors in public, staying up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines, and getting tested if you have symptoms.
Parcel Phase II Project Approved
On July 13, the Planning and Economic Development Commission approved the second phase of The Parcel affordable housing development project. Phase 2 of The Parcel project includes infrastructure improvements and construction of four 3-story, and one 4-story residential building for a total of 148 rental units (146-147 deed restricted affordable housing units and 1-2 manager’s units). The project is proposed to be constructed and financed in two phases, Phase 2.1, 72 units and Phase 2.2 including the four 3-story buildings with 76 units. Parking for the development is provided within an understructure parking garage that accommodates 72 vehicles, as well as 44 tuck-under carport stalls and 105 surface parking spaces. The proposed project is applicable to the 4.8-acre northeast portion of the overall Parcel site.
Please Leash Your Dog – MLPD Issuing Citations
The Mammoth Lakes Police Department will now be issuing citations to all owners with dogs off-leash at Shady Rest Park and throughout Town after issuing only warnings for the last 2 years. It is unlawful for any dog owner to allow their dog to run at large within the Town of Mammoth Lakes Municipal Boundary. The Eastern Sierra offers an incredible outdoor playground for dog owners to play and walk with your dog(s) off-leash. The Town is moving forward with plans for a dog park with construction expected to commence in the fall of 2023. For dog related resources, please click here.
Town Council Meeting – July 20
- Town Council will consider approval of the Town’s five-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP). Projects in FY2022-23 are funded, with funding for subsequent years being part of the annual budget process. The program identifies $120 million in projects.
- Town Council will consider an agreement to finalize the analysis on the transition to using the California Radio Interoperability System (CRIS) to upgrade/replace the outdated system.
- Town Council will consider an MOU with the Whitebark Institute to conduct a planning process for fuels reduction on the “Bell Shaped Parcel” and “Mammoth Creek Parcels” owned by the Town to mitigate fire risk.
- Town Council will consider updates to their current Strategic Priorities and Key Objectives to reflect finalized work and new areas of focus for FY2022-23.
- Review the July 20, 2022 Town Council Meeting Agenda.
Parks, Trails, Facilities and Events Update
- July 17, 24 and 31: FREE Swim Sundays at the Whitmore Pool
- July 15-31: Unbound Chamber Music Festival
- July 15-17: Men’s Adult Softball Tournament at Shady Rest Park
- June 29-July 17: Mammoth Shakespeare Festival at the Woodsite
- July 15-16: Mammoth JazzFest in The Village at Mammoth
(From Mammoth Lakes)